important dates for THE 2021 Scholarship cycle
Feb 20, 2021
Mar 20, 2021
Mar 6, 2021
|Apr 19, 2021||
Mar 13, 2021
|May 7, 2021||
Thank you for your interest in applying to the first annual Let Freedom Ring (LFR) Scholarship. The scholarship hopes to advance applicants' knowledge regarding African American history through an essay, presentation, and research. Our mission is to support applicants' post-secondary educational pursuits and provide life-long opportunities for students. Please review the eligibility criteria and complete the application requirements. If you have any questions or concerns throughout the application process, please do not hesitate to reach out to the foundation (
). We look forward to reading your application and getting to know you!
Please click on the link below to enroll in the workshops available to scholarship applicants.
Eligibility Criteria For Scholarship
- Must be a high school senior, graduating during the 2021 academic school year, attending a Williamsburg-James City County or York County school or possess a valid (GED) certification
- Must have a GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Must intend on pursuing a post-secondary degree or program at a US institution, to include community colleges, trade schools or traditional four year institutions.
Completed applications must fulfill the following requirements:
- Preliminary application
- Minimum of 1000 word, typed response to essay prompts (see link below). Please submit responses as Word or PDF document.
- Record a 5-10 minute oral presentation using one of the provided essay topics
- Proof of enrollment to a post-secondary institution
- Academic Transcript (official or unofficial)
All aspects of application MUST be sent in one email to
Please click on the link below to load the Scholarship Application form. Don't forget to Save after filling in the form.
download scholarship application
Please click on the link below to Save the Essay Prompts
download essay prompts here
Workshops will be held for three Saturdays at 12PM (March 6th, March 13th, and March 20th). It is highly encouraged to attend for support throughout your research process. Please refer to the zoom information below to join the meeting.
- March 6th ~ Introduction to the Scholarship
- March 13th ~ Key to a Successful Paper
- March 20th ~ How to Prepare a Speech
Topic: Workshop: LFR Education & Scholarship Task Force
Meeting ID: 823 5285 2315
If you encounter any technical difficulties or emergencies that restrict your ability to attend, please feel free to contact
Scholarships will be awarded in the following amounts:
1st Place $3000
2nd Place $1500
Honorable Mention Awards
Thank you for applying and we look forward to considering your application!